Implementing the NHS smoking cessation service at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust
We provided support to the University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, enabling them to become an early adopter of the NHS smoking cessation service and contribute efficiently towards the prevention goals outlined in the NHS Long Term Plan.
The University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust required support with the new national NHS smoking cessation service. The NHS Midlands and Lancashire CSU (MLCSU) facilitated the service’s implementation and provided support throughout.
We analysed the trust’s current resources and worked with various teams to establish working groups, agree on a referral pathway, and engage with community pharmacies.
- We interpreted and applied all the necessary guidance from NHS England.
- We worked with pharmacy, IT, tobacco dependency, respiratory and other teams to highlight and work through technical and logistical issues.
- We worked with the trust and other stakeholders to set up a referral pathway and worked out how data and referrals will be exchanged throughout the stages of the service.
- We supported the local pharmaceutical committee with engagement events to ensure abundant local uptake of the service and that there was sufficient geographical coverage.
- Our support allowed the trust to become one of the early implementors of the NHS smoking cessation service.
- The trust is now set up to digitally refer patients being discharged from secondary care for ongoing smoking cessation support via their chosen community pharmacies.
- The guidance we provided helped establish a digital referral pathway allowing for referrals to be quickly sent electronically and then received back to the trust upon completion of the patient pathway in a timely manner.
- Our support helped the trust to efficiently deliver and contribute to the prevention ambitions as part of the NHS Long Term Plan.
- In a similar pilot in Oldham, we worked together with Greater Manchester Integrated Care Partnership to transfer smoking cessation care from hospital to community pharmacy. The project was shortlisted as a finalist in the HSJ Awards 2022 and highly commended in the Health Business Awards 2022. It has since been rolled out in pharmacies across England.
“The MLCSU has been an outstanding partner to work with setting up our ‘Community Pharmacy pathway for smoking cessation’ in Leicester.”
“The team have all the key qualities to get a new pathway up and running including being key members of our task and finish group, being responsive to queries, problem solving, working effectively with other stakeholders and generally being friendly, respectful and having a ‘can do’ approach.
“In addition, sharing their knowledge and experience working with other stakeholders across the country has been pivotal in getting our local pathway up and running in record time..”
Professor Sanjay Agrawal – Consultant in Respiratory and Intensive Care Medicine | University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust (UHL), National Clinical Advisor for Tobacco Dependency | NHS England, Chair |
Royal College of Physicians (RCP) Tobacco Advisory Group
News and views
Robert Beardall, Inclusion Unit Project Manager, MLCSU As a professional navigating the financial landscape of the NHS and…
We are excited to announce a partnership between NHS Midlands and Lancashire CSU’s Personalised Healthcare Commissioning Team and…
Nicola Ainscough, Head of System Delivery, MLCSU The recent communication from NHSE, referencing the letter titled ‘Addressing the…
How we can help health systems
Developing health systems
Acting as an independent and trusted partner within the system to facilitate working across stakeholders and integrate elements of the provider system…Learn more about Developing health systems
Workforce resilience and transformation
Supporting systems to build a sustainable and integrated workforce, transforming systems, organisations and the workforce experience to improve resilience.Learn more about Workforce resilience and transformation
Communications and engagement
Supporting ICSs with approaches to design and deliver effective communication, engagement and behavioural insights as a key enabler for system change and…Learn more about Communications and engagement
Digitally enabled transformation and IT
Digitising care and partnering with systems for the transformation of digitally enabled service delivery (and other supporting processes) across vision, planning and…Learn more about Digitally enabled transformation and IT
PHM analytics and decision support
Applying intelligence-led understanding of the health of the population to support the redesign of care and improve patient and financial outcomes across…Learn more about PHM analytics and decision support
Place and primary care transformation
Supporting providers to work together at a place and neighbourhood level to manage common resources, integrate community teams, improve health and reduce…Learn more about Place and primary care transformation
Clinical redesign and provider collaboration
Redesigning how health and care works across England - placing people at the centre of their own health and care and utilising…Learn more about Clinical redesign and provider collaboration
Personalised healthcare commissioning services
Providing end-to-end funded care services, including patients as active partners in identifying their healthcare needs and then commissioning care to meet these.…Learn more about Personalised healthcare commissioning services
Business enabling services
Delivering a wide range of support functions through transactional services, business partnering and transformation that drives efficiencies and releases value and time…Learn more about Business enabling services