Pay and conditions
The NHS pay system, known as Agenda for Change (AfC) applies to all directly employed staff, except doctors, dentists and very senior managers. Benefits include:
- A standard working week of 37.5 hours with the opportunity to make flexible working requests
- Holiday entitlement of 27 days a year rising to 29 days after 5 years’ service and 33 days after ten years’ service, plus eight general and public holidays (all pro rata per annum)
- Incremental career progression subject to satisfactory performance and achievement of agreed objectives in accordance with Agenda for Change (AfC)
- Annual personal development reviews to support career aspirations, monthly 1:1s and the rollout of a new online appraisal system, Inspire, to facilitate regular appraisals.
NHS pension scheme
The NHS Pension Scheme continues to be one of the most comprehensive and generous schemes within the UK. Every new employee automatically becomes a member and you will get an excellent package of pension benefits, fully protected against inflation and guaranteed by the government.
Health Service Discounts is one of the UK’s leading providers of NHS discounts, providing discounts, offers and money saving deals to all NHS employees, their family and friends. It’s free to join and become a member.
Did you know that you can also get discounts/corporate rates at places like local gyms, Dorothy Perkins, Nandos and for mobile phone contracts?
More than ever, we are seeing the increase in opportunities to provide additional services and support to meet client requirements. TalentOne, our internal staffing service, encourages interested staff to join the Associates register and develop their skills in a variety of projects different to the every-day job.
CSUC sports and leisure
CSUC Sports & Leisure provides affordable sports and leisure experiences and health and wellbeing benefits for public sector employees. From money off days out and shopping trips to support with sporting event fees, there are a range of benefits available to staff through the CSUC scheme for a small monthly cost.
Blue Light Cards
The Blue Light Card is available to anyone who works in the UK’s emergency services, NHS or armed forces. With either a free online account or for a small fee, there are plenty of offers and discounts available both in the high street or online.
Tax free childcare
The governments tax free childcare scheme has replaced the childcare voucher schemes previously available.
Car leasing scheme
Are you in the market for a new car? Employees qualify for very competitive deals to lease cars from the wide fleet available from NHS Fleet Solutions. This operates on a salary sacrifice basis.
Cycle to work scheme
The MLCSU cycle to work scheme has been introduced in response to staff feedback and to support staff wellbeing and benefits. The salary sacrifice scheme, which is provided by Cycle Solutions, allows you to choose any adult bike along with a wide selection of safety and security equipment up to the value of £1000.
NHS retirement fellowship
The NHS Retirement Fellowship (NHSRF) is the social, leisure, educational and welfare organisation for current and retired NHS and social care staff and their partners.
Belonging to the NHSRF brings benefits such as maintaining friendships and making new friends, a range of discounts, interest groups and holidays.
Other staff benefits include:
- Our agile and flexible culture supports our person centered approach to work
- MLCSU health and wellbeing – a wide range of physical, financial, mental health, and wellbeing support all available from our staff intranet, which is Nugget
- Free, confidential employee support services over the phone, via Care First
- Annual staff celebrations event
- Up to 52 weeks maternity or adoption leave, and shared parental leave option
- Up to 2 weeks paid maternity support (paternity) leave
- 5 days paid leave per year to do voluntary work
- Opportunity to purchase additional leave
- Active network of Freedom to Speak Up Champions
- Subscription to the Health Service Journal and other library services
- Access to free eye tests and contribution to glasses for DSE users
- West End theatre discounts.