Pay and conditions
The NHS pay system, known as Agenda for Change (AfC) applies to all directly employed staff, except doctors, dentists and very senior managers. Benefits include:
- A standard working week of 37.5 hours with the opportunity to make flexible working requests
- Holiday entitlement of 27 days a year rising to 29 days after 5 years’ service and 33 days after ten years’ service, plus eight general and public holidays (all pro rata per annum)
- Incremental career progression subject to satisfactory performance and achievement of agreed objectives in accordance with Agenda for Change (AfC)
- Annual personal development reviews to support career aspirations, monthly 1:1s and the rollout of a new online appraisal system, Inspire, to facilitate regular appraisals.
NHS pension scheme
The NHS Pension Scheme continues to be one of the most comprehensive and generous schemes within the UK. Every new employee automatically becomes a member and you will get an excellent package of pension benefits, fully protected against inflation and guaranteed by the government.
Health Service Discounts is one of the UK’s leading providers of NHS discounts, providing discounts, offers and money saving deals to all NHS employees, their family and friends. It’s free to join and become a member.
Did you know that you can also get discounts/corporate rates at places like local gyms, Dorothy Perkins, Nandos and for mobile phone contracts?
More than ever, we are seeing the increase in opportunities to provide additional services and support to meet client requirements. TalentOne, our internal staffing service, encourages interested staff to join the Associates register and develop their skills in a variety of projects different to the every-day job.
CSUC sports and leisure
CSUC Sports & Leisure provides affordable sports and leisure experiences and health and wellbeing benefits for public sector employees. From money off days out and shopping trips to support with sporting event fees, there are a range of benefits available to staff through the CSUC scheme for a small monthly cost.
Blue Light Cards
The Blue Light Card is available to anyone who works in the UK’s emergency services, NHS or armed forces. With either a free online account or for a small fee, there are plenty of offers and discounts available both in the high street or online.
Tax free childcare
The governments tax free childcare scheme has replaced the childcare voucher schemes previously available.
Car leasing scheme
Are you in the market for a new car? Employees qualify for very competitive deals to lease cars from the wide fleet available from NHS Fleet Solutions. This operates on a salary sacrifice basis.
Cycle to work scheme
The MLCSU cycle to work scheme has been introduced in response to staff feedback and to support staff wellbeing and benefits. The salary sacrifice scheme, which is provided by Cycle Solutions, allows you to choose any adult bike along with a wide selection of safety and security equipment up to the value of £1000.
NHS retirement fellowship
The NHS Retirement Fellowship (NHSRF) is the social, leisure, educational and welfare organisation for current and retired NHS and social care staff and their partners.
Belonging to the NHSRF brings benefits such as maintaining friendships and making new friends, a range of discounts, interest groups and holidays.
Other staff benefits include:
- Our agile and flexible culture supports our person centered approach to work
- MLCSU health and wellbeing – a wide range of physical, financial, mental health, and wellbeing support all available from our staff intranet, which is Nugget
- Free, confidential employee support services over the phone, via Care First
- Annual staff celebrations event
- Up to 52 weeks maternity or adoption leave, and shared parental leave option
- Up to 2 weeks paid maternity support (paternity) leave
- 5 days paid leave per year to do voluntary work
- Opportunity to purchase additional leave
- Active network of Freedom to Speak Up Champions
- Subscription to the Health Service Journal and other library services
- Access to free eye tests and contribution to glasses for DSE users
- West End theatre discounts.
News and views
Robert Beardall, Inclusion Unit Project Manager, MLCSU As a professional navigating the financial landscape of the NHS and…
We are excited to announce a partnership between NHS Midlands and Lancashire CSU’s Personalised Healthcare Commissioning Team and…
Nicola Ainscough, Head of System Delivery, MLCSU The recent communication from NHSE, referencing the letter titled ‘Addressing the…
How we can help health systems
Developing health systems
Acting as an independent and trusted partner within the system to facilitate working across stakeholders and integrate elements of the provider system…Learn more about Developing health systems
Workforce resilience and transformation
Supporting systems to build a sustainable and integrated workforce, transforming systems, organisations and the workforce experience to improve resilience.Learn more about Workforce resilience and transformation
Communications and engagement
Supporting ICSs with approaches to design and deliver effective communication, engagement and behavioural insights as a key enabler for system change and…Learn more about Communications and engagement
Digitally enabled transformation and IT
Digitising care and partnering with systems for the transformation of digitally enabled service delivery (and other supporting processes) across vision, planning and…Learn more about Digitally enabled transformation and IT
PHM analytics and decision support
Applying intelligence-led understanding of the health of the population to support the redesign of care and improve patient and financial outcomes across…Learn more about PHM analytics and decision support
Place and primary care transformation
Supporting providers to work together at a place and neighbourhood level to manage common resources, integrate community teams, improve health and reduce…Learn more about Place and primary care transformation
Clinical redesign and provider collaboration
Redesigning how health and care works across England - placing people at the centre of their own health and care and utilising…Learn more about Clinical redesign and provider collaboration
Personalised healthcare commissioning services
Providing end-to-end funded care services, including patients as active partners in identifying their healthcare needs and then commissioning care to meet these.…Learn more about Personalised healthcare commissioning services
Business enabling services
Delivering a wide range of support functions through transactional services, business partnering and transformation that drives efficiencies and releases value and time…Learn more about Business enabling services